Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A closer look: Avatar

Posted by: Ghufran


Image from http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Avatar is directed by James Cameron , and starring Sam Worthington , Zoe Saldana.When I first saw the trailer of Avatar I was like "Oh my God not another boring old action movie". I had no intentions in actually watching the film and refused to conform to any social catch that was steaming out of this movie. However I could no longer ignore it any more. The constant change of the new gross profit figures, usually eight to nine digits long, the new craze to have "Avatar" avatars as your Facebook display picture and being recalled as breaking the record of "Titanic" finally had me seduced towards spending 20 bucks on a 3D screening at the local cinemas.

Avatar is about acceptance and respect towards individuality and differences. It is about the human race and their infuriating attitude leading them to believe that the Na'vi' world was beneath them and should therefore be ignored when trying to obtain something sacred from them - the precious metal that is scattered around the rich woodlands. Paraplegic Marine Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is set on a mission to bond with the natives in the land of Pandora and to brainwash them in thinking that the military are harmless to the to the natives. However, Jake sees this journey as an emotional turmoil as he falls in love with the a beautiful native Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) and realises the selfish and inhumane ways our race has become.

With a person like me who was so against this whole action movie phase, I'm surprised that it actually got my attention and forced me to bow down on my knees and say ever so painfully on what an awesome movie it was. I would definitely give this movie a 9 out of 10 for its heart touching story and eyelid-glued-to-the-socket graphics and animations.

Other opinionated review about Avatar contrasts the idea of technology is comparison to other movies, i particular found this blog review very interesting.
http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie-review-avatar/

No comments:

Post a Comment